Liberté, by Gretchen Angelo, is a first-year college French textbook with a true communicative approach. It has been adopted by instructors at over thirty colleges and high schools (partial list below). The textbook may be downloaded for free in accordance with the license, or printed copies can be ordered. Please contact me for information on printed copies or requests for audio. Note that audio is available only to institutions adopting the text; I am sorry, but I do not currently supply them to homeschoolers or individual learners, as I simply get too many requests and cannot answer them all.
The text can be downloaded in Adobe Acrobat format, and is freely available under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike license.
To get the student copy of the book, click (or right-click, depending on your computer) on one of the links below to download it and save it to disk. These are large Adobe Acrobat files (up to 11 Mb each), and may take some time to load if you have a slow connection. If you are a Cal State LA student, you should download only the portions being used in the current semester, as the other chapters will be updated before you take 1002. You will need the free Adobe Reader software, which comes preinstalled on most computers.
Cal State LA Students, FREN 1001 and 1002: Download Volume 1 for 1001 and Volume 2 for 1002.
- Volume 1, chapters 1-6, January 2017 (Student edition)
- (Buy this on Lulu).
- Volume 1, Chapters 1-6, January 2017 (Professor's edition)
- Alaska Pacific University, Anchorage, AK
- Arizona Language Institute, Phoenix, AZ
- Barbados Language Center, Barbados Community College
- Besant Hill School, Ojai, CA
- Biola University, La Mirada, CA
- Burr and Burton Academy, Manchester, VT
- California State University, Los Angeles, CA
- Calvary Christian Academy, Ft. Lauderdale, FL
- Central High School, Corinth, Maine
- Central Methodist University, Fayette, MO
- Cuyahoga Community College, Parma, OH
- Delta Charter High School, Tracy, CA
- Dillard University, New Orleans, LA
- Ferris State University, Big Rapids, MI
- Franciscan University of Steubenville, OH
- Gordon State College, Barnesville, GA
- Grace Christian School, Alexandria, LA
- Hostos Community College, CUNY, NY, NY
- Interamericano School, Guatemala City, Guatemala
- International IT College, Stockholm, Sweden
- Iroquois Ridge High School, Oakville, Ontario, Canada
- James Madison University, Harrisonburg, VA
- Jemison High School, Jemison, AL
- Kennebec Valley Community College, Fairfield, ME
- Kishwaukee College, Malta, IL
- Lausanne Collegiate School, Memphis, TN
- Lethbridge Collegiate Institute, Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
- Los Angeles Mission College, Los Angeles, CA
- Lower Canada College, Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- McCallie School, Chattanooga, TN
- Marlborough School, Los Angeles, CA
- Mendocino College, Ukiah, CA
- Mount San Antonio College, Walnut, CA
- New England College, Henniker, NH
- Northeastern State University of Oklahoma, Talhequah, OK
- Platte Canyon High School, Bailey, CO
- Quinsigamond Community College, Worcester, MA
- Santiago Canyon College, Orange, CA
- Shaw University, Raleigh, NC
- Universidad del Valle de Puebla, Tehuacan, Puebla, Mexico
- Universidad Humanistica de Mexico, Tehuacan, Puebla, Mexico
- University of Dublin Trinity College, Dublin, Ireland
- University of New Mexico, Los Alamos
- University of Southern Maine
- University of Wisconsin, Milwaukee
The audio recordings for each chapter are in MP3 format. As noted above, these recordings are presently available only to teachers and students using the text for their classes in a high school or college, not to individual learners or homeschoolers. To obtain the audio recordings, please email me from your school email address.
About the Author
I teach French language and literature at California State University, Los Angeles. If you think you might be interested in using Liberté in your classroom, I would love to hear from you. My e-mail address is gangelo2 at calstatela dot edu.